Learning Module Information
- Estimated Lecture Hours: 3
- Lab Hours: Discussion and group activity prompts within the presentation may account for an hour or so of the class.
- Format: PowerPoint
- Define geothermal energy and discuss its characteristics as a renewable energy source.
- Describe the geophysical sources of geothermal energy and compare methods of extracting/exchanging heat from these sources.
- Distinguish between geothermal electrical production, direct-use and heat pump technologies and explain the basic processes involved with each.
- Discuss basic components and installation of geothermal heat pump systems.
- Illustrate potential applications for geothermal energy in agriculture.
- Identify energy/cost savings available for farms by geothermal systems.
- Appraise a region’s geothermal potential and identify applicable financial incentives.
- Design a basic geothermal system with the use of on-line project development tools and evaluate the energy-savings potential of the proposed system.
- Geothermal overview
- Sources of geothermal
- Geothermal energy production
- Components of geothermal systems
- Potential applications of geothermal
- Cost/Savings using geothermal energy
- Basic geothermal design
Please see the User Guide for information on how to use this curriculum