Learning Module Information
- Estimated Lecture Hours: 3
- Lab Hours: Discussion and group activity prompts within the presentation may account for an hour or so of the class.
- Format: PowerPoint
- Define geothermal energy and discuss its characteristics as a renewable energy source.
- Describe the geophysical sources of geothermal energy and compare methods of extracting/exchanging heat from these sources.
- Distinguish between geothermal electrical production, buy direct-use and heat pump technologies and explain the basic processes involved with each.
- Discuss basic components and installation of geothermal heat pump systems.
- Illustrate potential applications for geothermal energy in agriculture.
- Identify energy/cost savings available for farms by geothermal systems.
- Appraise a region’s geothermal potential and identify applicable financial incentives.
- Design a basic geothermal system with the use of on-line project development tools and evaluate the energy-savings potential of the proposed system.
- Geothermal overview
- Sources of geothermal
- Geothermal energy production
- Components of geothermal systems
- Potential applications of geothermal
- Cost/Savings using geothermal energy
- Basic geothermal design
Click Here For Syllabus
Please see the User Guide
for information on how to use this curriculum
Common Core State Standards
Common Career and Tech Core Standards
College & Career Readiness-Anchor Language
College & Career Readiness-Anchor Reading
College & Career Readiness-Anchor Speaking & Listening
College & Career Readiness-Anchor Writing
LifeKnowledge and Cluster Skills Content Standards
English Language Arts Standards-Science and Technical Subjects
English Language Arts Standards-Writing
Click HERE to download the Excel Spreadsheet of the detailed standards for all of our modules.
View the Standards Database page to filter our modules for a specific standard.